Tips for dealing with pothole damage
According to Parkers, 9 out of 10 UK drivers have been affected by damage caused by potholes and it is the biggest problem facing drivers.
In 2022, research by KwikFit estimated that British motorists spend a total of £1.25 billion a year on repairing damage caused by potholes.
Here’s some tips on dealing with pothole damage:
1. Notify your local council about the pothole via gov.uk Report a pothole webpage.
2. Get multiple repair quotes. Getting more than one quote will not only help you save money, but you’ll also have a written record of costs when it comes to making a claim.
3. Write a letter to your council or Highway England outlining the damage and costs involved. It may take up to two weeks for them to respond.
If the authorities agree that the road was not kept to a reasonable standard, then they will either pay up, make an offer or you will have the option to take the case to a small claims court.
Quick tips for avoiding potholes in the first place:
- Read the road ahead
- Always be vigilant
- Be particularly wary when driving in extreme weather, especially in the dark
- Drive around potholes if it is safe to do so
Have you ever had to make a claim for pothole damage?
About The Author
Joseph Catley – SYPC Media Manager